This policy explains what cookies are, how those Cookie are used on the Northern Forest Website and what you can do to manage how they are used.
This policy only relates to your use of the Northern Forest website. You agree that, unless you have set your computer’s browser to reject them, we can place the types of cookies set out below on your device and use that data in accordance with this Policy.
Who are we?
The Woodland Trust, Community Forest Trust, The Mersey Forest, White Rose Forest, City of Trees and HEYwoods (the Northern Forest Partners) are working together to take the Northern Forest from concept to reality. Details about each of the Northern Forest Partners can be found on each partner’s own website.
What are cookies?
A cookie is a small text file which is placed onto your device (for example, on your computer, smartphone or other electronic device) when you use the Northern Forest website. Cookies are used on the Northern Forest website.
These help us recognise you and your device and store some information about your preferences or past actions.
For example, we may monitor how many times you visit the website and which pages you go to. This information helps us to build a profile of our users. Some of this data will be aggregated or statistical, which means that we will not be able to identify you individually.
You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the websites below tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, some of our website features may not function as a result.
- Carry out research and statistical analysis to help improve our content, products and services and to help us better understand our users’ requirements
- Make your online experience more efficient and enjoyable.
Types of cookies
A visit to a page of the Northern Forest website may generate the following types of cookie:
Session cookies – these allow our website to link your actions during a particular browser session. These expire each time you close your browser and do not remain on your device afterwards.
In addition, the cookies that we place on your device may also be:
- Strictly necessary cookies – these cookies are essential for you to be able to navigate our website and use its features. Without these cookies, the services you have asked for could not be provided.
- Performance cookies – these cookies collect information about how you use our website, for example which pages you go to most often. These cookies do not collect personally identifiable information about you. All information collected by these cookies is aggregated and anonymous, and is only used to improve how our website works.
- Functionality cookies – these cookies allow our website to remember the choices you make (such as your user name, language, last action and search preferences) and provide enhanced, more personal features. The information collected by these cookies is anonymous and cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
- Targeting cookies (third party cookies and cookies used for advertising) – these cookies are used to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They are also used to limit the number of times you see an advertisement on our website and help measure the effectiveness of the advertising campaign. These may also be used to choose the advertisements that are displayed to you on our website and other websites.
Which cookies do we use?
The details below outlines the purpose of each of the cookies we use on our website and gives links to the privacy policies of any third parties involved.
Cookie type: Strictly necessary
Cookie author: Cloudflare and various others
Cookie purpose: These types of cookies are used to make our website is usable by enabling basic functions like page navigation and access to secure areas of the website. The website cannot function properly without these cookies.
Cookie type: 1st party advertising/analytics
Cookie author: Google Adwords, Analytics and Google Marketing Platform 360
Policy location: Google
Cookie type: 3rd party advertising/analytics
Cookie author: AddThis
Cookie purpose: AddThis button spreads content across the Web making it easy for visitors to bookmark and share with other people. Provides statistics about bookmarking and sharing activity.
Policy location: AddThis
Cookie author: YouTube
Cookie purpose: Uses a unique identifier to keep statistics of what videos from YouTube you have seen. It also estimates your bandwidth on pages with integrated YouTube videos.
Policy location: YouTube
How to turn off cookies and change my settings?
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of our website and you will not receive a personalised service.
If you are primarily concerned about third party cookies generated by advertisers, you can turn these off by going to the Your Online Choices website.
For more information, visit Network Advertising Initiative. From their site, you can control third party online advertising by managing your browser opt-outs.
For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to the Information Commissioner’s webpage on cookies.
Please note that these links will take you to other websites. The Northern Forest Partners will not be responsible for the information and also the setting of cookies on these other websites.
How to contact us
- By telephone: 0330 333 3300
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: Data Protection Officer, Woodland Trust, Kempton Way, Grantham, NG31 6LL
Please note that calls to the Woodland Trust may be monitored or recorded.
Changes to this policy
This document was last updated: February 2019